Saturday, January 10, 2009

Short or no shorts

A friend brought up an interesting question the other day. Does it look bad for your worship leader to wear shorts on stage? Does it look unprofessional? At a church like Discover Point does it matter? We encourage our members to dress casually because it is more important to us that they are there than what what they wear. During the summer its not uncommon to see 10 people in T-shirts and shorts. Now for the record my friend is not suggesting that we wear 3 piece suits. All he is suggesting is that worship leaders (even at a church like Discover Point) should always wear pants (jeans). Nice T-Shirts are okay but no shorts. Everyone who attends could still wear shorts or whatever just not the people on stage. I guess my question is if we are trying to look professional who are we trying to look professional for? Part purpose of Discover Point is to reach by relating (that's paraphrased). Who are we relating to by not wearing shorts? 30 year old professionals? That is a large demographic. Would we alienating or turning off people if we decided to adopt this standard? I know that people feel comfortable with the people on stage if they relate with them but in that case we are some how changing someones view with either choice. I know it seems like I am making a big deal out of this but I am just trying to give you guys all of my thoughts. Is it a big deal if the people on stage wear shorts? No? But I would like to know what the 3 people who read this blog think.
Stumble Delicious Technorati Twitter Facebook

2 comments:

House of Collinsworth said...

I, personally, could care less if the worship leader (a.k.a. my husband) wears shorts. However, once we move into the new building, I think it would be nice if everyone on stage wore jeans/pants...that is only a preference though. I don't think it's that big a deal either way, but culturally, I think pants are just considered to be "nicer"....even if they are jeans. I usually say that if it's a big debate, just don't do it....something this simple just isn't worth the argument.

Brad Wiliams said...

Truth is that it is at our church it is the pastors decision. Truthfully if this is ever an issue I trust him enough to follow his leadership either way. Even on something as minor as this.