I am a firm believer in the fact that you have to have a vision and a plan for your ministry. Even if God changes the direction from time to time if you keep goals ahead of you then you are always reaching for something and you don't become content with what you have done. These are my future plans for the Production ministry at DPC. These plans may not be the plans of the rest of the staff although I shared most of these with them. These plans may change as our relatively new church continues to take shape. Today I am going to talk about my short term goals. Maybe in a few weeks I will come back and share my long term goals for this ministry.
1. Better training material. I am (as I have said many times before) a terrible teacher. I am a doer and doers do they don't teach. On the other hand I do lead a ministry and leaders do teach. So how do I balance the two? I have not figured that our yet. What I do know is that I need to put together better training packets. We have some cool equipment and I would love to be able to hand some one a training packet so they will at least have some idea whats going on before they step into the booth for their first day of practice.
2. A new position: Camera Operator - There will be a need for a camera operator very soon for reasons I will discuss below
3. I want to begin to put together a plan to control over flow. In case you have not noticed our services get fuller and fuller. We want everyone to be able to be on the service comfortably. What happens if more people show up then we have seats for? The answer is to create an overflow space. A space out in the lobby where people can see and hear the service on TV's. This would also allow us to run the countdown in lobby so you would have a better idea when the service is to begin.
4. I want to set up a Live Internet Broadcast of our services! Yes I would like to stream our services live over the Internet. It is all about reaching as many people as possible and live streaming events is easier than ever. Plus it provides you a way to join our services even if you are sick or out of town!
5. Increase production volunteers. With the addition of a position soon and the possibility of increasing the number of service at DPC I need volunteers I have 8 and I probably will need 16 within the next 6 months. That's a lot of training!
Like I said these goals could change or the time tables could change. All I know is that is your not working towards something your standing still.
I want to know what your reading! I love to read ideas, thoughts and random blurbs for a wide range of people. Just as fun for me to know is what your reading and what you think is cool, creative and exciting. We get great ideas by sharing thoughts and ideas with other s and letting them add to the ideas. It just like a creative meeting except with 1000's of people online. Google reader has added a great new feature that allows us to share the blogs we think are worth sharing as well as comment on them with your thoughts. I read a ton of blogs and so do a lot of you. I don't always read the blogs your read but I want to know about the ones you think are cool, creative, smart or just funny. It's all about growing the kingdom!All you have to do is:
Sign up for Google reader
Add some feeds to your reader
Under each feed is button to share Find a post you think is worth sharing and click the share button under it
Find other people like you or even people different from you and read their shared items
A lot of people use Gmail as their email service and Google Calendars as their calendar but don't know that there is a way to make both of them better right within the pages themselves. Google has created this nifty thing called labs (they have actually been around awhile). In Labs you will find cool little gadgets that improve Gmail and Google Calendars. Just click the beaker glass looking icon in the top right hand corner of Gmail and Google Calendars and start browsing through all of the coll things you can add.
I believe that God calls us to be excellent in all we do. I don't think that means perfect just excellent. The other day a friend of mine ask me why I would not create videos with the current video camera we have (which is old and SD) and show them in church. He went as far as (in jest) telling me I was sinning for not showing the low quality video because it could help some one come to Christ. On the other hand it could turn someone off. We spend our week watching HD TVs (well not me) listening to ipods and looking at high quality websites. Why should we think that we as a church can be outdated and still appeal to people who spend their life in High Definition? I am all for integrating Pop Culture into services. Not for entertainment but to help bridge the gap between what non believers know and what I have learned. What I am not for is integrating video that sucks! If you are going to show videos in your church, if you are going to playing secular music, if you are going to integrate pop culture into your services in any way do it with excellence.
I know money plays a factor. This is where you have to be creative. You also have to learn to say no. If something is planned but it looks or sound horrible, Scrap it, don't do it and walk away. We have been wanting to add a drama element to our services for a long time but we do not have the people, tools or time to do it right. Until God provides those things we will not have a drama element in our services even though I know we want one really bad. Same thing with video I really want to start doing more and more video (I do a lot now with motion graphics now but not footage) but I won't until I have better technology (that is not cry for help). I just simply do not want to put a product out there that is half done.
Sunday was a great day at Discover Point Church! We are always happy to see new faces in the crowd and man there were a lot of new faces this week. Thanks to everyone who came! A special thanks to everyone who helped out at Kids Jamm yesterday it was awesome!
I loved Standby doing a little music before the service! We need to do that more often.
Killer Music this week! I love our band.
We will play "Scenes" by Charlie Hall again next week. Take a minute and read the lyrics. There is a reason we sang this every week of the series.
We are hopefully getting the robotic lights fixed this week! That excites me!
Joe, Rusty, and Matt did a great job.
Philip spoke on iThings. What are the things in your life keeping you from a better relationship with God?
Cole and Matt's rendition of "By your Side" was spot on
Kids Jamm last night was amazing
It always fun to see kids learning about Jesus.
Next week is the final week of iGod called iChange.
I like Twitpic a lot but I like Flickr even more and now that Flickr allows me to post my photos to Twitter I will use Twitpic less and less. I could regurgitate how Flickr explains this process but I will just point you to the FAQ page on Flickr where they do a great job explaining the process. This is a great way to let people know when you have posted new photos.
Anything can happen at any given moment in any given service. Volunteers can call out, equipment can go down and you can get sick. I have learned that I needed something new every week since moving into our new complex. This week I ask David (worship arts pastor extraordinaire) to start bringing an extra set of tab sheets for the Computer tech. I know this seems like something small but it can make a huge difference. Next week I am going to start walking a different volunteers through my morning routine of turning on equipment and I will do the same for closing down the equipment. I go over each Song like 6 times before I declare it good for Sunday. I make the computer techs read through the Sermon for spelling errors even though ProPresenter has spell check. The biggest issue I have as far as my backup plan goes is there is no back up equipment and there is no money to buy back up equipment. So outside of a projector and 2 LED Par cans I have no backup equipment and I know this is an issue for a lot of churches. That issue is truly out of my hands, so it is extra important that my team and I are prepared in the areas that we can control. There is no more nauseating feeling than when you ruin a powerful moment in the service because you weren't prepared. God called us to do all things to the best of our ability I believe that includes the things we do in the production both on Sunday mornings. Be Prepared
This is the first top ten Tuesday I have posted on Tuesday in a while. I think I am finally catching up.
Today is my 8th anniversary of being married to my wife so I thought I would write 10 reasons I love my wife. These are no order.
1. She challenges me. I spend a lot of time challenging the way people think about things. I spend a lot of time asking the question why. My wife is the one who challenges me. She does not let me become satisfied.
2. She has never ever ever lied to me. EVER
3. She took the time to get to know me. Not just the BS front I put on sometimes but the real me.
4. After getting to know me she stayed with me and that is even scarier.
5. Because she is the best mom to our kids. I know she doesn't feel like she is but there is no one better to raise my offspring.
6. Because she loves God.
7. Because she forgives me even though I can be a truly stupid man sometimes
8. Because she has made me a better human being.
9. Because she puts up with my hobbies.
10. Because she is on my side no matter what.
There so many other things I love about my wife. I failed to mention that she is beautiful and smart, and so many other things. I got the better end of the deal for sure. I am looking forward to our future no matter where it takes us.